Sunday, April 4, 2010

My birth story

4 days after my last post I gave birth to my beautiful daughter. I haven't had time for anything else but her for the past 2 weeks. I think I am ready to share my experience with you all.  

I started feeling some contractions at around 4:30PM on 3/23. I was working from home thankfully so I just signed off of my computer and called up Dave, hoping he was on his way home soon. For the next 3 1/2 hours labored comfortably at home with Dave timing the contractions. I took a slow walk to help speed up the process. I remember bracing myself against the trashcan because I couldn't walk through a particular tough contraction. We alerted our parents and made our way to the hospital at around 9. The contractions were about 4-6 minutes apart and lasting around 45 seconds to a full minute. We were calm and collected on the ride to the hospital. I knew this was the real thing and was ready. 
We arrived at Rex and met my mom there. I was brought into a labor room and had my vitals checked. I was only at 3-4 centimeters so I couldn't be admitted yet. Once Dave's parents arrived, Me, Dave, my mom and his parents wandered around through the hospital to increase the contractions and dilation. I munched on ice chips to keep hydrated. The contractions were getting stronger and closer together. I must say that once we arrived in the hospital, I had no sense of time. I never knew how long I waited between contractions, nurse visits or anything. I was focused on the labor and eventual birth. Once I was dilated enough to be admitted, things began to pick up. A contraction is a deep primal and painful feeling that starts in the abdomen and stretches out out as a wave across the body. It takes your breath away and gives you just enough of a break afterwards to prepare for the next one. I started to sweat, A LOT. Everyone else was freezing. I was determined to stay out of the bed for as long as I could. It was extremely uncomfortable to lay down. I sat in the rocking chair for a good amount of time, riding the contractions as they got more difficult. I chose to have a natural birth and I was beginning to doubt I could handle it. I shoved those thoughts back and mediated with my eyes closed for most of the night. The doctor had to break my water at 8 centimeters. Not long after that, the transition period began. I could feel her moving downward and getting into position. The contractions were deep and very painful at this point. I cried out with each one and braced for the next. I began to feel a undeniable need to push and I couldn't control it. I got onto the bed and got ready for the finale. 
It felt good to have a goal and pushing was my goal. My awesome nurse Helen and my three amigos Dave, Mom and my mother-in-law all helped me count. With each contraction, I pushed with everything I had. My arms, neck, back and legs all ached and throbbed with pain. It was the most intense pain and euphoria I have ever felt in my life. It was all consuming and ancient. I felt one with her. I was taking this amazing journey into a new life with my daughter. With one final heave, Samantha Marie arrived at 10AM and was immediately placed on my chest. Her eyes were wide open and for a few moments, we took each other in for the first time. She didn't cry, she looked wild and alert. The doctor gave me the scissors and I cut her cord myself. They whisked her off to be weighed and checked but thankfully, it was right by my bed. She was a hefty 9 lbs 7 ounces and 22 inches long. Her blood sugar was low so they gave her a bottle immediately and she guzzled it down like a pro. As I laid there on the bed, I felt relieved that it was over. Life was good and everyone involved was happy to be there. I am thrilled to bring my daughter into this world and am looking forward to sharing our life together. 


1 comment:

  1. What a great account of Sam's birthday. I am so proud of you. I admit I teared up a bit reading it.

    ReplyDelete